You will most likely be attending holiday parties, gathering with family or wining and dining with friends over the next week so the Bon Vivant Wine Guide has provided some cocktail party conversation for you to keep in your back pocket. When the banter hits a lull, wow them with scoop, stats, and oddball facts about wine.
- Americans consume an average of 2.1 gallons of wine per person each year compared to 15 gallons for the average French person.
California, New Yorkand Floridaare the top three states in terms of wine consumption. U.S.
- 5.3 million gallons of wine were lost in the 1906
earthquake San Francisco
- Despite many myths to the contrary, the “legs” that form on the sides of your wine glass after you swirl it have nothing to do with the wine’s quality.
- You can be sent to jail in
for sending a bottle of wine as a gift. Kentucky and Syrah are the same grape. Shiraz can be made from 3 grapes, 2 red and 1 white (Pinot Noir, Pinot Menieur and Chardonnay.) Champagne
- Wine is fat free and contains no cholesterol.
- It takes 600 to 800 wine grapes to produce one bottle of wine.
- Wineries are the second most popular tourist destination in
- The word "toast" originated in ancient
, where a piece of toasted bread was dropped into wine as a wish of good health. Rome
To your health & happy holidays!